Need some advice.

Open for all registered users to use.

Need some advice.

Postby TWC_Target » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 am

As some of you know I'm working on a new flight deck. This is going to render the PC useless for anything else, but it's been in my head to do this since Aces Over Europe.
With that in mind the back lit keys on my Saitek are loosing their letters due to wear. So I'm going to replace it. This deck's specs are to be drawn to fit the parts I'm going to use. What I have in mind is to have my main monitor on the top self then have an angled shelf just below it for the 2nd (virtual cockpit) monitor. In light of this configuration the next consideration is the key board (or a representation thereof) placement. The first candidate is a split key board to set in the secondary monitor shelf with each half framing the virtual cockpit.
This is what I have in mind, http://kadavy.net/blog/posts/split-keyboard/
The next thought I'm entertaining is to have a separate shelf in line with my chairs armrests. I'm going to this with the mouse on my right and I have throttles on the left so this idea isn't as straight forward, this type of board is what I'm looking at for this setup.
http://www.ergocanada.com/detailed_spec ... board.html

Sparky has suggested the Arduino route and forego the keyboard all together, but there's a learning curve with that idea and Piranha has me thinking I'm not going to be patient enough for that when the new stick gets here. :lol:
"Mercedis Intentio"
TWC_Target

Re: Need some advice.

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm

I am not at all sure about your proposed keyboard route but before you get to that may I respectfully suggest you reconsider the number of monitors that would be most beneficial. If you are going to make such a big investment it might be wise to get the basics nailed down first.

For CloD with TWC, might I suggest that two screens is really not enough and three is a much better option (when flying Storm of War I needed four, but let us not go there as the wounds are still too raw). One screen, a really big one, for the main display, a second one for virtual cockpit below it (I use a 7 inch Lilliput, ideal for the job) and, off to the side, the third, standard-sized, screen for all those applications like Teamspeak and mapping software that just make life easier and, which is also invaluable when playing other games, e.g. Elite Dangerous. You never know you might want to during the lifetime of your proposed investment.

Tinkerty-tonk

HL
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Piranha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:24 pm

I think the split keyboard is a good idea.
I also agree with Blindasabat in the monitor setup. That's exactly how I have my monitors one large 42" TV at 1600X900 res and then a regular 24" computer monitor on the side for other apps and I use a cheep 8" monitor for my virtual cockpit beneath the TV.
Piranha
TWC_Piranha

Postby TWC_Target » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm

All input is appreciated. :D
In fact my next question was going to be how small a monitor I can get away with for the virtual cockpit. I'm trying to keep size down to a minimum, as space (in my space [basement]) IS the final frontier.
I am building with an eye to a possible upgrade in monitor size at a latter date, but I don't want too many screens, unless it's the ultimate three screens, one for each panel at the front of the canopy. As for the apps, I don't mind minimizing to DT or suffering the embarrassment of getting the name of a "new user" wrong. The biggest desire I have is, in the end, having all the bits and pieces arranged in a manner close to looking like a cockpit. The main screen acting as the windscreen, the virtual cockpit is in the position of the gages on the dashboard below and the controls where they would've been in a WW2 fighter aircraft. That's why I bought the stick with the floor mount. If I could split the view of the in game cockpit so that none of the graphics below the canopy coaming was visible that would be the cat's meow. That is, while zoomed fully out. After all, why have two set of gages?
I've drooled over the pics of what others have done with real gages and switches used in their renditions of cockpit dashes. But reality must be utilized to the best of it's limits and I'd rather fly than be building a section of a real aircraft.
"Mercedis Intentio"
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_Sparky_VR » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Hey Target check these out even the impatient person can do these http://www.DesktopAviator.com start with board 2120

Sparky
TWC_Sparky_VR

Postby TWC_Target » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

What are you trying to do to me Sparky, get me into yet another hobby? Still, my curiosity has me looking at these websites. Yikes. :o
OK new question, will this monitor work for the virtual cockpit, or is it a replacement for a laptop?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product
"Mercedis Intentio"
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_Birdtail » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 am

Target, Have you looked at any second hand stores or garage sales? I got a 15" (4-3 aspect ration)one at a govt surplus store for $10....works fine for a VC montior.
Bird
There's something good waitin' down this road
I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
"Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"
TWC_Birdtail

Return to Open Forum